[HLUG] Mouse Problems

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Thu Apr 17 22:06:23 BST 2008

Broomster wrote:
> Hi Gang,
> My first request for help!
>
> I have a Tevion wireless mouse (part of a wireless keyboard and mouse
> combo I bought from Aldi 18 months or so back.. The keyboard has since
> been replaced..)
>
> It works fine, apart from the button configuration...
>
> It has two extra buttons on either side of the mouse which in windows
> used to operate the "back" and "forward" features on my web browser..
> In Ubuntu it appears that these extra buttons do different things..
> The left one performs a "paste" function, and the right one does the
> same as the standard right mouse button...
>
> I'd like to configure them to the "back" and "forward" functions I'm used to...

Hi Mike

I've never had to do this myself, but know its certainly possible.

This link may be a start

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Advanced_Mouse

The section called XModMap may be worth looking .

This also looks pretty useful. Linux.com have some excellent articles,
and thsi one is very current, so probably more likely to succeed then
XModMap perhaps.

http://www.linux.com/feature/126295

Always many ways to 'skin a cat ' in Linux ..

Hopefully, someone else can suggest something a bit more concrete ...

Julian