[HLUG] Multiple disk setup

Ralph Jones ralphkj at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 10:03:49 BST 2008

Hello again,

In addition to my philanthropic mission (see previous post), I'm also
going to try and add some more HDD to my existing installation, in so
far as:

- iPodder stalls while I'm out on the road in the middle of downloading
podcasts, due to lack of disk space
- we're in the middle of a credit crunch, so I don't want to spend money
on new drives
- I've got a few 20Gb and 40Gb drives lying around from previous
self-builds, from which I never got round to recovering the data, but
still intend to.

At the moment I have one 10Gb drive , /dev/hda, partitioned and mounted
as /, /boot and swap, upon which I have Linux installed;
and one 40Gb drive, /dev/hdb, mounted as /home.

The setup I'm looking at, based on my limited experience and
understanding of under-the-bonnet Linux, is as follows:

- one 20Gb HSS as /dev/hda1, partioned as /, /boot and swap; to be used
for the OS only

- two 40Gb drives, which I'd like to 'pair as one',and then mount
as /home

I'm not looking for parity, backup, striping or similar RAID functions,
I just want to have one large 80Gb disk. Am I looking to LVM to achieve
the 'pairing' of the two 40Gb drives, so as to be mounted under the same
mount point?

Further (these are all IDE drives); how would I go about cabling/IDE
channels?
Currently, my DVD is one it's own cable, one the first IDE channel;
while the two existing drives (/root & /home) share an IDE cable on the
second IDE channel, using the master/slaves jumpers for selection.
(IIRC, the master is on the end of the ribbon, while the slave sits on
the connector halfway along the ribbon).

How would I go best about sharing ribbons and channels on my proposed
setup?

Your thoughts/insights please :)
Ralph