[HLUG] Multiple disk setup

Andrew Hodgson Andrew.Hodgson at allpay.net
Fri Apr 18 11:12:37 BST 2008

paul.maddox.mail-list at synth.net wrote:

>> The setup I'm looking at, based on my limited experience and
>> understanding of under-the-bonnet Linux, is as follows:
>>
>> - one 20Gb HSS as /dev/hda1, partioned as /, /boot and swap; to be used
>> for the OS only
>>
>> - two 40Gb drives, which I'd like to 'pair as one',and then mount
>> as /home
>>
>> I'm not looking for parity, backup, striping or similar RAID functions,
>> I just want to have one large 80Gb disk. Am I looking to LVM to achieve
>> the 'pairing' of the two 40Gb drives, so as to be mounted under the same
>> mount point?

>RAID 0

Actually you can use LVM to put two physical volumes (disks) into one logical volume.  Whether this gives the same performance benefits of RAID0 is questionable.

Thanks.
Andrew.

--

allpay.net Limited, Fortis et Fides, Whitestone Business Park, Whitestone, Hereford, HR1 3SE.

Registered in England No. 02933191. UK VAT Reg. No. 666 9148 88.

Telephone: 0870 243 3434, Fax: 0870 243 6041.

Website: www.allpay.net

Email: enquiries at allpay.net

This email, and any files transmitted with it, is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the allpay.net Information Security Manager at the number above.