[HLUG] Multiple disk setup

Benji Weber b.weber at warwick.ac.uk
Fri Apr 18 11:18:25 BST 2008

On 18/04/2008, paul.maddox.mail-list at synth.net
<paul.maddox.mail-list at synth.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>

>  > The setup I'm looking at, based on my limited experience and
>  > understanding of under-the-bonnet Linux, is as follows:
>  >
>  > - one 20Gb HSS as /dev/hda1, partioned as /, /boot and swap; to be used
>  > for the OS only
>  >
>  > - two 40Gb drives, which I'd like to 'pair as one',and then mount
>  > as /home
>  >
>  > I'm not looking for parity, backup, striping or similar RAID functions,
>  > I just want to have one large 80Gb disk. Am I looking to LVM to achieve
>  > the 'pairing' of the two 40Gb drives, so as to be mounted under the same
>  > mount point?
>

> RAID 0

Raid0 is not just one disc, the data is striped across both discs,
which the original poster said he did not want. While Raid0 would give
higher read performance, two discs in raid0 means you're twice as
likely to lose all your data. Considering the reliability/cost of
consumer discs, raid0 is rarely a good idea.

LVM can concatenate discs though, which is probably what is wanted.

--
benji