[HLUG] Multiple disk setup

Andrew Hodgson Andrew.Hodgson at allpay.net
Fri Apr 18 11:50:28 BST 2008

Andy Smith wrote:

>Hi Benji,

>On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 11:18:23AM +0100, Benji Weber wrote:
>> LVM can concatenate discs though, which is probably what is wanted.

>This is almost as bad as RAID-0: while you don't lose everything
>when a disk dies, you do still lose up to half the data.  Also since
>the data will be (usually -- there are striping options for LVM)
>linearly organised across the devices, there is none of the
>performance benefit that RAID-0 or RAID-1 would provide.

Thanks - that was what I thought.

>I would recommend a RAID-1 of at least two devices, then LVM on top
>of that for flexibility.

My question is - why?  Is it that the op has only 2 40GB drives, or is there a real reason why you want /home split over the two disks (i.e, are they doing intensive work that requires speed benefits of two drives)?  I got a 250GB IDE drive the other week for just over £15 from PC World in Hereford, which was dirt cheap in my opinion.

Thanks.
Andrew.

--

allpay.net Limited, Fortis et Fides, Whitestone Business Park, Whitestone, Hereford, HR1 3SE.

Registered in England No. 02933191. UK VAT Reg. No. 666 9148 88.

Telephone: 0870 243 3434, Fax: 0870 243 6041.

Website: www.allpay.net

Email: enquiries at allpay.net

This email, and any files transmitted with it, is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the allpay.net Information Security Manager at the number above.