[HLUG] Multiple disk setup

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Fri Apr 18 12:04:47 BST 2008

Hi Andrew,

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 11:50:22AM +0100, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
> >I would recommend a RAID-1 of at least two devices, then LVM on top
> >of that for flexibility.
>
> My question is - why?  Is it that the op has only 2 40GB drives,
> or is there a real reason why you want /home split over the two
> disks (i.e, are they doing intensive work that requires speed
> benefits of two drives)?

The OP appears to want additional disk space using drives they
already have.  All I can say is it's not a very good idea to span
one filesystem across multiple drives especially when those drives
are themselves quite old.

Because of that, it may not be possible for the OP to get more disk
space and in his position that is just a hardship I would bear,
rather than risk the lost productivity of being out of action for an
extended period of time.

Other reasons for using RAID do include performance, but that may
not be the primary concern and doesn't seem to be the goal of the OP
here.

> I got a 250GB IDE drive the other week for just over £15 from PC
> World in Hereford, which was dirt cheap in my opinion.

So when it breaks and you are unable to work for however long, would
that still be worth the saving of NOT buying another one for £15 and
mirroring them?

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB