[HLUG] Test web server

Paul Stenning paul at vintage-radio.com
Fri Apr 18 12:02:38 BST 2008

Andrew Hodgson wrote:

> Gutsy has slightly newer PHP and MySQL packages than this, but Hardy will have PHP 5.2.5 and the newest MySQL release.  Apache 1.3 will be possible to install using the apt-get install apache - ensuring that Apache2 is not installed.
>
> If you install ubuntu Server with the LAMP option, it gives you Apache2, and latest PHP/MySQL packages.

Is the difference between Apache1 and Apache2 likely to be an issue?

The site I'm working on uses vBulletin with lots of custom hacks plus
Website Baker plus some other custom PHP code.  I think the only Apache
feature it uses is mod-rewrite.

> You can use virtual hosts to do this.  Webmin should be able to take care of the conf file for you.  Using separate IP addresses means you don't have to muck about with DNS/hosts files on the workstations to ensure that the right A records are pointing at the Apache box, but you do have to add other IP addresses to the network interface, so it is which ever is easier for your situation.

Excellent!  I need to have the site as-now and the site as being
improved both available.

>> What version of linux are you using?
>> Most of the modern distrubutions come with samba enabled.
>
> Ubuntu being no exception - especially if you tick file server during the server install.

Good!

>>> What Linux distro should I use?  I am thinking of one of the Ubuntu
>>> family but welcome other ideas.
>
>> seem to be the most popular, though I've yet to use it.
>
> The server edition of Ubuntu is quite nice and gives you the latest packages, though there is no desktop.  I haven't used the desktop Ubuntu with any of this stuff.

I guess I could apt-get gnome or some other desktop (a light-weight one)
if I needed it?

>>> Obviously I need to install Apache, PHP, MySQL and phpMyAdmin.  What
>>> should I install to get a graphical management thing for Apache
>>> (preferably web-based)?
>
>> my friend says use 'webmin' but warns, it's VERY insecure!
>
> This is an internal network, right?

Yes!  Behind a firewall/router and not accessible from the internet.