[HLUG] Syncing with Windows..

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Tue Apr 22 23:57:06 BST 2008

Julian Robbins wrote:
> Broomster wrote:
>> Hi Gang,
>> Newbie advice time again lol..
>>
>> As I'm the only one on our home network brave enough to ditch windows,
>> I'm in need of a bit of help..
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a package preferably for my pc (tho if worst
>> comes to the worst for one of the windows pc's..) that will sync files
>> (in both directions) between my pc and a windows pc? Something simple
>> with a gui if possible..
>>
>> We're connected via a router - and I tend to download some files that
>> my partner would like on her pc too. Rather than us both downloading
>> them, I'd like to send them across to her shared directory, and at the
>> same time grab any she's downloaded that I haven't already got..
>>

>> Also, as we're on a capped broadband package (limited to 20gb a month
>> during the day - but unlimited during the night (12am-8am) - I'd like
>> to set ubuntu to download all the updates overnight.. Is there a
>> simple way of doing this?
>>
> There's a GUI with Linux called Grsync, which i tried the other day
> that you can get from the Ubuntu Repositories. I don't know of one for
> Windows, but I'm sure there must be one.
>
> Perhaps someone else can help for that part ...
I also remembered that you could try 'Unison'
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/

which works between Linux and Windows clients. I don't know much about
it, but have heard good things ... There is a GUI version, but the docs
do look a bit hard going for the newcomer.

That said, may be worth a try. Note, its not under active development
any more, but probably does what the developers set out to do with it .