[HLUG] Offtopic - How to get faster ADSL speeds

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Sat Aug 2 23:08:57 BST 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 20:04 +0100, Steve Bushell wrote:
> As to whether you will get an improvement.... Who can tell.... Are you
> REALLY only conecting at 64K? (0.064MBps) or is that a joke?

No laughing matter. ;)
64KB (=512Kb) per second.
As I said, I'm a marginal distance from the
exchange - even weather can affect QoS (not
helped by all of the aluminium used in local
phone lines).

>  I can only say that for me, the Zyxel DID help.  I tried direct into
> the socket at the back, and before the adsl filter change and
> eliminating the internal house wiring (which connecting there does!)
> it was marginaly better. The key is to eiminate as much noise pickup
> as possible I think, and internal wiring is a key culprit.

I'm plugged directly into the master socket.
During a recent problem I replaced everything
and found a new lead from socket to router made
the most difference.

> I remember 2 or 3 day downloads to get a new Slackware or Redhat....
> And paying a FORTUNE to have bonded ISDN with BT telling me they were
> increasing prices as I should change to adsl (unavailable) pah!

I ordered ISDN the day it became available for
SOHO workers, only to be told a few weeks later
it would never work with my location :-/

I was very tempted when 2-way satellite came
down to 100 per month (plus 1900 upfront
equipment costs), but got a job away, and as I
was leaving that job they finally managed to
connect us up to our current "speedy" broadband :-)

 - Richard