[HLUG] informal meetings

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Sun Aug 17 16:38:31 UTC 2008

Quoting Julian Robbins <joolsr at fastmail.fm>:

> Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Note to List-admins: Apologies if this is out of place or against
>> group policy, I'm just trying to make friends...! :o)
>>
> Not at all ..  ;-)

Good, glad to hear it!

>> I'm based in Monmouth and I'm wondering if anyone else from this area
>> (or anyone who can get here!) is interested in meeting up sometime
>> over the next month or so as a kind of "informal" LUG meet.
>>
>> I've got two young children so evenings mid-week are generally spent
>> bathing/putting them to bed and then sorting out food etc so by the
>> time I'm ready to go somewhere it's nearly 9pm and I'm over 1/2 hour
>> from the usual meeting venue!
>>
> Hi Matthew
>
> I don't think we have any problems with that. I have a (nearly) three
> year old, so I know how it is !! We usually have meetings in Hereford to
> minimise travelling overall, but when we started the LUG, the idea was
> to have meetings in Hereford, and North, South, East and West of the
> county if we could, to try to be as inclusive as possible. In the end,
> we found it difficult to get really great venues, freely or very
> cheaply, with wi-fi, and not too noisy.

Ah, I know the issues, I've encountered them before, I was thinking
that this could be a purely social gathering than an official meeting...

> Also, being in Monmouth, you're neither close to any Welsh LUG's, nor
> the Hereford LUG. have you tried joining the nearest Welsh LUG and
> posting to them your idea too ? I checked, and I guess you're probably
> still closer to the Herefordshire LUG anyway.
>
> I think my only concern is that I wouldnt want to see the Herefordshire
> LUG fragment :-(

I've got no intention of doing this (see below).

>> If people do fancy meeting up, let's see if we can arrange a date that
>> we can all make, possibly in a pub that does good beer!
>>
> Something you could consider, if you get a few others interested, you
> could setup your own Monmouthshire LUG?
>
> Just an idea.
>
> See how your first informal meeting goes, and see how many others are
> able to go.

I've been here before.  I tried to run ThanetLUG (the far north-east
corner of Kent) because KentLUG were unable to provide a meeting that
was in my area.  This didn't work due to lack of interest.  I get the
feeling that a MonmouthLUG would suffer the same fate.

May we could look at some of the other LUGs in the area (and I'm
thinking particularly Bristol/SouthWales here) and jointly setup an
event for something like Software Freedom Day next year (I think we're
a bit late for this year's as it's about four weeks away!) or
something similar??

> I'd like to come, but it really is just a bit too far for me at night to
> Monmouth.

I know that feeling well! :o)

Can't make the meeting this week, hopefully will make the meeting next month.

Kind regards,

Matt
--
Matthew Macdonald-Wallace