[HLUG] informal meetings

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Sun Aug 17 09:32:51 UTC 2008

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Note to List-admins: Apologies if this is out of place or against
> group policy, I'm just trying to make friends...! :o)

Not at all ..  ;-)
> I'm based in Monmouth and I'm wondering if anyone else from this area
> (or anyone who can get here!) is interested in meeting up sometime
> over the next month or so as a kind of "informal" LUG meet.
>
> I've got two young children so evenings mid-week are generally spent
> bathing/putting them to bed and then sorting out food etc so by the
> time I'm ready to go somewhere it's nearly 9pm and I'm over 1/2 hour
> from the usual meeting venue!

Hi Matthew

I don't think we have any problems with that. I have a (nearly) three
year old, so I know how it is !! We usually have meetings in Hereford to
minimise travelling overall, but when we started the LUG, the idea was
to have meetings in Hereford, and North, South, East and West of the
county if we could, to try to be as inclusive as possible. In the end,
we found it difficult to get really great venues, freely or very
cheaply, with wi-fi, and not too noisy.

Also, being in Monmouth, you're neither close to any Welsh LUG's, nor
the Hereford LUG. have you tried joining the nearest Welsh LUG and
posting to them your idea too ? I checked, and I guess you're probably
still closer to the Herefordshire LUG anyway.

I think my only concern is that I wouldnt want to see the Herefordshire
LUG fragment :-(
> If people do fancy meeting up, let's see if we can arrange a date that
> we can all make, possibly in a pub that does good beer!

Something you could consider, if you get a few others interested, you
could setup your own Monmouthshire LUG?

Just an idea.

See how your first informal meeting goes, and see how many others are
able to go.

I'd like to come, but it really is just a bit too far for me at night to
Monmouth.

Cheers