[HLUG] CentOS

Malcolm Herbert mherbert at redhat.com
Thu Aug 28 11:43:33 UTC 2008

greetings;

> My mythtv machine has gone horrendously bonkers and i've decided it's
> time for an update to it. It's currently running fedora core 6 which,
> by my calculations is three versions behind current despite it only
> being a year and a half old! So, to try and get out of this kind of
> hell i'm looking to move to a redhat based system with a bit of a
> longer support cycle and think CentOS may be a likely candiate. Is
> anyone on the list using it?

i sticking with Fedora 8 for the moment, F9 has a version of xorg with
some significant API changes which may impact graphics support.  You
should have the repo's you need and updates for 18months or so

CentOS as you may know is a direct clone of RHEL and as such is more
focused on enterprise / server products, though there is a RHEL desktop
version.

For MythTV or desktop usage I'd go Fedora.

> I'll also be looking at a minimal install with no fancypants kde or
> gnome as my current install is hogging around 9 gig of disk space and
> i'd like to half that if poossible so i'm also considering running a
> lightweight window manager such as ratpoison or fluxbox so if anyones
> got any experience of installing and configuring something similar i'd
> like to hear about it.

interesting; not played with that too much, but surprised it takes that
much space....

Malc

> Cheers
> Matt