[HLUG] CentOS

matt stone stone.matthew at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 12:19:07 UTC 2008

2008/8/28 Malcolm Herbert <mherbert at redhat.com>:
> greetings;
>
> i sticking with Fedora 8 for the moment, F9 has a version of xorg with
> some significant API changes which may impact graphics support.  You
> should have the repo's you need and updates for 18months or so

18 months sounds good to me :) Downloading an iso for 8 right now.

> interesting; not played with that too much, but surprised it takes that
> much space....

To be honest i'm pretty sure on my initial install it was only about 4
gig but i can't find any reliable way of going through the system to
see where the space is being taken.  I've checked mythtv's home
directory which sits at around 200 megabytes (not bad considering all
the dvd css files go in there plus movie artwork and mythtv theme
cache files) and my database is only around 100 megabytes in size so
i'm stumped as to what could have accumulated 5 gig's worth of lint
over 18 months.

Anyway, a nice fresh install should allow me to trim my base install
down considerably. No docs, no man pages, no dekstop, no rubbish gui
configuration tools that i'll never use etc etc :)

Cheers
Matt