[HLUG] Hard drive partitioning

Paul Stenning paul at vintage-radio.com
Thu Feb 28 13:16:36 GMT 2008

If you are planning to install Linux in the freed space, you'll find
that many distros can do the partitioning change (without data loss)
during the installation.  You just have to take care through that part
of the process to make the right choices.  Ubuntu certainly does that.

If you're not installing Linux there is probably a Linux live CD that
includes a utility to do this.  I don't know about that, but someone
here will!

If you want to do it in Windows probably the best bet is to buy a copy
of Symantec/PowerQuest Partition Magic or Acronis Disk Director (about £30).

Partition changing does carry some risks, although 99% of the time it
goes fine.  Take a full backup of all important stuff to a USB drive,
CDs or DVDs before starting, just in case...