[HLUG] Hard drive partitioning

Julian Robbins julian.robbins at q-par.com
Thu Feb 28 16:53:52 GMT 2008

daniel beer wrote:
> Hello, I am sending this to find out if anyone knows how to partition a hard
> drive on a windows XP laptop without having to reinstall all the files on it
> afterwards?

You could also use GParted, available on the Ubuntu demo/install disc
which will allow you to resize most filesystems with ease. It's a
graphical interface and pretty straightforward to use.

And its free !! There is also a downloadable bootable cd with a few
tools  and gparted, but I can't remember what its called. Ubuntu uses
GParted to do their partitioning, which as Paul rightly says will allow
you to partition your drive during the install anyway if you want to
save time.

One other point worth mentioning :- they always used to say that you
should defragment your windows disc before doing any partitioning with
any tool. Not sure if this is still important, but if its really heavily
fragmented could cause you issues later with the partitioning.

And as the others, say please back up your important stuff first ! I've
rarely had problems installing, upgrading, etc, but it can happen.
Especially if the power goes half way through repartitioning/installing !!

By the way, I usually like to say hello to our new LUG members but
didn't get chance earlier.

If you could post a bit about yourself, and what you hope to get out of
joining HLUG, and why you're interested in Linux and your level of
expertise. This way, its easier to find out if you have similar
interests as other LUG members here. If you're a beginner, dont worry we
have a mixture of levels of capability and interest, and we aim to be a
friendly group open to all.

Perhaps see you at our next meeting !
--
Kind regards