[HLUG] Looking for CMS system

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 31 14:03:20 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 13:27 +0000, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
> I am in the market for a CMS system which is easy to use.  I will be
> installing it, but someone else completely will be doing the designing
> of the pages etc - this is a teenager with average computer skills, who
> is interested in designing a website for some projects I am involved in.

> I have seen 3 sites named:

> http://www.joomla.org/
>
> http://www.mamboserver.com/
>
> http://plone.org/

Hello Andrew,

We use Plone. It's easy for end users to use, but there is a small
amount of learning on the admin side for you to set it up. Once
done, you can do a fair amount to it with CSS - I'd recommend a
good look at some of the example sites linked from plone.org

Do you really need a full CMS, with control of workflow, and
fine-grained ACLs, though? WordPress can be stretched to do
quite a bit, and is easy to tailor for the look you want. However
you do have to keep a sharp lookout for secuity advisories.

Regards,

 - Richard