[HLUG] Looking for CMS system

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 31 14:11:13 GMT 2008

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 14:03:21 +0000, "Richard Smedley"
<smedley358 at btinternet.com> said:

> On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 13:27 +0000, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
> > I am in the market for a CMS system which is easy to use.  I will be
> > installing it, but someone else completely will be doing the designing
> > of the pages etc - this is a teenager with average computer skills, who
> > is interested in designing a website for some projects I am involved in.
>
> > I have seen 3 sites named:
>
> > http://www.joomla.org/
> >
> > http://www.mamboserver.com/
> >
> > http://plone.org/

Hi Andrew

Well I'm another Plone user, which I would endorse, but like Richard say
it may be overkill.

The other one you should look, at; and which we use to power our LUG
site is Drupal, drupal.org. Yes I know its got a really stupid name, but
I really quite like it.

I would discount mamboserver. Mambo was the originator, then mambo had
licence issues and Joomla was forked. Most of devs went to Joomla. Mambo
is still going, but doesnt seem to have anywhere near the amount of
kudos and use that Joomla has.

Joomla does have some tatty 3rd party plugins though. The new Joomla 1.5
is almost entirely rewritten, and has been overhauled drastically. I
always thought the backend interface was really confusing, but I think
they've really taken that to heart.

Plone, is a complex beast, but if just want to use it in a simplistic
way, its actually real easy. Templating is complex, but like Richard
says, changing some of the CSS can help a lot.

Thers a nice review of differences ofn the openadvantage.org site,
although its probably a bit out of date now .

Good luck

Julian