[HLUG] Which distro for a laptop?

info at lifespacedesign.co.uk info at lifespacedesign.co.uk
Wed Jul 9 19:30:14 BST 2008

Hi Morven,

I'm running a legacy DEll Latitude cpi (600 MHz) using PCLinuxOS. As a stripped down Mandriva it uses KDE by default, which suits me, has never had any issues finding and using any of the peripherals I USB into it and also you can download any additional SW as rpms.
Live CDs are available ((I think it was Paul S who gave me mine) or you can download an ISO.) the same CD will also install.

Of course, you may have specific tasks to run which would influence your choice of distro....

Hope you can make the mtg next week
Pete H@

Hi All,

Haven't really posted here before, but I was wondering if anyone had any
good experiences with different distro's on Dell laptops?

Mine is a Dell Latitude D620, currently running Ubuntu 8.04/XP on dual boot.
This is great, except that Ubuntu 8.04 seems to Kernal panic whenever it
runs on battery power... I have no idea why, but according to there forums,
it seems to be happening to more than a few people.

At this point I am either going to go back to Ubuntu 7.1 or try something
else, but I am not really sure what to go for. Does anyone have any
suggestions? Are there any distro's specially for laptops (I have looked,
but can't really find anything)?

Mo