[HLUG] Which distro for a laptop?

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Wed Jul 9 21:50:44 BST 2008

Morven Lewis-Everley wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Haven't really posted here before, but I was wondering if anyone had any
> good experiences with different distro's on Dell laptops?
>
> Mine is a Dell Latitude D620, currently running Ubuntu 8.04/XP on dual boot.
> This is great, except that Ubuntu 8.04 seems to Kernal panic whenever it
> runs on battery power... I have no idea why, but according to there forums,
> it seems to be happening to more than a few people.

Hi Morven

If you have a kernel panic, you may find that its more likely a problem
with that specific version of the kernel rather than Ubuntu itself. ie
with same kernel in suse, Fedora you will getb the same problem. Kernel
changes do occasionally lead to regressions, ie bugs that have been
fixed, but come back again.

Ubuntu themselves have a section in their wiki about tests they
have made with different laptops, dell are quite prominent in it. ie
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/DellLatitudeD620 in fact
canonical supply many laptops to their Ubuntu staff for testing.

There is a contact at Ubuntu that you may want to ask about your problem
, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OsdeInfo
> At this point I am either going to go back to Ubuntu 7.1 or try something
> else, but I am not really sure what to go for. Does anyone have any
> suggestions? Are there any distro's specially for laptops (I have looked,
> but can't really find anything)?

I dont think there are any distros just for laptops, but you're right in
either going back a version or forward one. I'd try something quite
different, not debian derived, and you may find that it might work.