[HLUG] Ubuntu 8.04 - is it a stable LAMP environment?

Andrew Hodgson andrew at hodgsonfamily.org
Mon Jun 9 22:11:55 BST 2008

Hi Alex,

>I spent about 6 months using Ubuntu 7.10 as a desktop machine with the

>standard packages installed for web development and never had any
>problems with it. I haven't used Debian though so I couldn't comment
>if they're as stable as those packages. I'm also running 8.04 on a
>home server running a few websites, again with no problems. It's
>nothing running much load though!

I just got up a VM running Ubuntu 8.04, it looks like a Debian Lenny
upgrade with a few tweaks (i.e, the setuid stuff).  I noticed though
they are using the Suhosin patch on the PHP 5.2.4 (and so are Debian by
the looks of my one machine upgrade to Lenny yesterday), so I will need
to check with them.  This is for a public facing machine, hence why I
asked the question.

Thanks for the heads up.
Andrew.