[HLUG] Ubuntu 8.04 - is it a stable LAMP environment?

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Mon Jun 9 22:15:57 BST 2008

Hi Andrew,

On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 10:29:23AM +0100, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
> I need to get up and running a web server with a recent version of PHP 5.2, and a relatively recent Apache.  We use RedHat as a distro at work, however, even in RHEL5 the PHP version is ancient and not working with many apps.  We can upgrade that package, but there is no point in then getting the RedHat license.

Why do you need the absolute latest version of PHP?  Is there some
killer new feature you require?

For me, having a packaged, secure and manageable (which may mean
using the distribution the users are more familiar with) setup is
far more important than having the latest point release.

> I am either thinking of going with Debian Etch or Ubuntu 8.04.  Ubuntu has a slightly later PHP and Apache, but I am wondering whether they are as stable as Etch?  I am used to Debian Etch, and would like to stay with this, but if people are using the LAMP stack in Ubuntu successfully, then I think my web developers would be a lot happier with us.

If the users are familiar with Ubuntu then barring any specific
reasoning that you haven't yet mentioned, that's what I'd use.  It
will cut down ongoing support.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB