[HLUG] Open Advantage are back !

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Sun Mar 9 09:37:09 GMT 2008

Hi

Just a quick post to say, Open Advantage openadvantage.org are back !
Based in Birmingham and covering the Midlands, they are an independent
resource of Open Source experts that will help companies get the most
out of Open Source.

They have just got more funding to continue I learnt on Friday, and will
having a big announcement soon about the new ways they will be able to
help small businesses.

In the past I went on a 5 day Plone course, and a 2 day PHP/MySQL course
absolutely for free !

The restrictions to who can attend courses will be a bit tighter this
time, but they can help companies in Objective 1 areas. Some of
Herefordshire fits into this category including Leominster. Many of the
smaller day or half day evnets dont have so much in the way of
restrictions.

I believe you have to be a registered small business, but not an
individual to get help from them. They also used to post lots of really
useful info on their site concerning Open Source, so even if you can't
make it Brum, or don't have a specific interest in their courses, you
can still get help from them.

I have mentioned our LUG and they may well join us, so they can post
about their forthcoming training and events.

Basically, our business got probably £3k worth of high quality training
for free from them, with no strings, so its well worth watching out for
them.

Cheers