[HLUG] Internation FOSS day

Peter Linnell info at lifespacedesign.co.uk
Fri Sep 5 15:28:06 UTC 2008

Dear All,
Following on from the August meeting discussion about Free SW day I have
now had a response from the council about space in High town; and there
isnt any that day as its rammed with some craft fair. I will refrain
from comments about Hereford being stuck in the past, though terrible is
the temptation !
So even if space was available there would be costs to be paid; I was
ready to fork out for some power, but not ground rent!. On the
application form there was no tick box for fundless group with no formal
constitution wanting to give things away. Registered charities pay no fee.
Then there is the mandatory risk assessment form including their version
of hazard scale, frequency and severity calculations....
The realkiller is the requirement for UPFRONT PROOF of £5M public
liability insurance.

This kind of crap used to get me creative with finding ways to subvert
it, but I wouldnt expect anyone here to share my hobby.

So High Town is out for this year. I still maintain that we should be
doing more outreach and advocacy stuff and will bring some more thoughts
to the next meet.

Mind the Gap
Pete H@