[HLUG] Internation FOSS day

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Mon Sep 8 07:24:10 UTC 2008

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
>> Peter Linnell wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All,
>>> Following on from the August meeting discussion about Free SW day I have
>>> now had a response from the council about space in High town; and there
>>> isnt any that day as its rammed with some craft fair. I will refrain
>>> from comments about Hereford being stuck in the past, though terrible is
>>> the temptation !
>>> So even if space was available there would be costs to be paid; I was
>>> ready to fork out for some power, but not ground rent!. On the
>>> application form there was no tick box for fundless group with no formal
>>> constitution wanting to give things away. Registered charities pay no fee.
>>> Then there is the mandatory risk assessment form including their version
>>> of hazard scale, frequency and severity calculations....
>>> The realkiller is the requirement for UPFRONT PROOF of £5M public
>>> liability insurance.
>>>

>> Hi Pete
>>
>> I had thought it might be tricky for us. Still its a bit surprising the
>> length's you have to go to to have a pitch there ...
>>

> Can I make a suggestion? Forget about FSD2008 and start planning _now_
> for FSD 2009.

Hi Matthew

This would be a good idea, and would give us some time to plan.

> If we can get local businesses that use FLOSS onboard (there must be
> some of them, I work for one and I'm guessing a few of the rest of you
> do too!) for sponsorship, rope in the colleges (RFoD/Hereford/etc) to
> provide us with lecture-space/show-space and make an Expo of it, then
> we could have a fantastic event.

I do too ...
> If we then team up with other "local" (Shropshire/SouthWales/Bristol)
> LUGs, we could galvanise this part of the country and throw a huge
> celebration of FLOSS in an accessible, clean, professional venue
> (Although I don't know the venue previously mentioned by you all - it
> may be all of these!) that looks professional.

I know the Shropshire LUG leader, and a member of the Wrexham LUG too.
Dont forget the Powys group ... Malvern .. Worcestershire ..

> If people do want to do things this weekend (and I'm out of the county
> so unfortunately I can't help) I'd suggest that someone burns a load
> of copies of the following:
>
>     * The OpenCD
>     * Ubuntu
>
> and hands them out with some of the fliers from either the Ubuntu-UK
> wiki or the FSD wiki along with details of the LUG - this should be an
> awareness exercise for both FLOSS _and_ Herefordshire LUG, so let's
> use it to boost the membership!

I think the problem is that we still can't officially do this central
Hereford ..

Also, lug.org.uk have finally got our webspace available again, but I
doubt we'd have the full site in place by then after their problems
before, which is a bit awkward.

> Best of luck to all who go out this weekend,

Regards