[HLUG] Herefordshire CAPS centres as venues for HLUG

GRAHAM COLE grhmc at lavabit.com
Sun Sep 14 14:00:25 UTC 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Evans" <reactiv8 at hotmail.co.uk>
To: <herefordshire at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2008 1:21 PM
Subject: [HLUG] Herefordshire CAPS centres as venues for HLUG

> Further to our discussion on suitable venues for HLUG meetings, last
> night, I happened to be at Lingen Resource Centre (to watch Flicks in the
> Sticks as it happens, rather appropriately:~ "No Country for Old Men"),
> anyway, I knew that although the 7 Windozy laptops would be locked away,
> but the router would alive and well, albeit behind a locked door.
> Therefore I tried getting a connection with my own Minty Fresh laptop
> which found the signal straight away, but was stopped connecting by
> password protection ... If I'd had time, I could have had a little fun
> bombarding it to force a connection, but I don't think this would have won
> me many friends?! Anyway, I mention this because although I fully expected
> Lingen's resident 'Dog in a Manger' to have installed something along
> these lines, we could face similar obstacles at Preston-on-Wye ... Perhaps
> someone could look into this, so we have passwords etc., and 'permission'
> to use their router?
>
> It is not hard to see why these spoil-sports become victims of a little
> mischief-making, they bring it on themselves, eh?!

Well done Chris. It occurred to me that the wifi signal would be always on,
so I think we could arrange to have the room booked for the extra half hour,
ie up to 9.30.  This may apply at any CAP so I'm wondering whether we could
go to the South Wye place and book a room to ourselves at a time when the
CAP isn't functioning. South Wye is possibly best for our access by our
members.
Graham