[HLUG] OpenOffice 3.0.1 problems on Windows

Paul Stenning paul at vintage-radio.com
Tue Apr 28 15:43:19 UTC 2009

Well two of my attempts at banging the open source drum has failed
miserably.

I installed OpenOffice 3.0.1 on a PC for a client and he is having
regular problems with the spreadsheet program crashing with large
spreadsheets, often when trying to save but it can happen at any point.
  He does telesales, is sent the spreadsheet by the client, has to enter
the results of each call, then send it back.  If it crashes he loses the
results and if he can't remember all the calls (at around 30 calls per
hour he can't be expected to) he has to call them all back, try not to
sound incompetent,  and not get paid for that time.

The PC is running Vista Home Premium, and have enough RAM (2GB).  It is
a fresh Windows installation with no viruses detected by NOD32.  Other
similar and lower spec PCs running Microsoft Office 2003 handle the
spreadsheets with no problems.  So they are now getting another
Microsoft Office (2007) license and want "this OpenOffice rubbish" removing.

I also installed it on a couple of PCs for another client and they are
having problems with .RTF files (when opening some menu options are not
available) and with page layout differences when opening .DOC files in
OpenOffice compared to Microsoft office.  Again they want the Microsoft
version "which works properly".

OpenOffice may be good for casual users but it cannot cope with more
heavy-duty use or in environments where some users have Microsoft Office
already.

I know this is a whinge, and I know OpenOffice is free, but we have to
accept the limitations as well as the benefits of open source.

--

Best regards,
Paul Stenning

www.vintage-radio.com