[HLUG] mounting an external HD

graham grhmc at lavabit.com
Thu Aug 20 09:00:42 UTC 2009

Hi all
I put a backup of my Linux system on the same HD as a backup of a widows
system. Now trying to see the contents with my Linux OS seems to be
impossible. I get this message:

LogFile indicates unclean shutdown (0, 0) Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1':
Operation not supported Mount is denied because NTFS is marked to be in use.
If you don't have Windows then you can use the 'force' option for your
own responsibility eg type on the command line
mount -t ntfs-3g/dev/sdb1/media/New Volume -0 force
or add the option to the relevant line in the /etc/fstab file:
/dev/sdb1/media/New Volume ntfs-3g force 0 0

Questions:
What risk is attached to using the force option for mounting the HD?
If I do mount it will I then be able to look at both backups?

thanks
Graham