[HLUG] Mount FTP site

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Thu Jan 29 08:18:24 UTC 2009

Quoting Morven Lewis-Everley <m.lewis.everley at googlemail.com>:

> Anyone on here had any luck Mounting an FTP site as a hard drive?
>
> I have got it working using curlftpfs, but it only mounts as root. I cannot
> access files as a non root user.
>
> I think the problem may be related to the additional options provided, but I
> cannot work out which ones to use.
>
> Any ideas appreciated,
>
> Mo

Hi Mo,

Which distro/desktop manager are tyou using?

If it's Ubuntu/Gnome, you can mount FTP from one of the menus (I think
it's places, but I don't use Gnome these days so you'll need to check
this).  This mounts the disk as an icon on your desktop and allows you
to copy/delete files to and from it.

If it's KDE (and I don't use this either so I'm not sure if this
exists in the latest version!) you used to be able to type
"fish://username:password@tfp.server.com/" into the file browser and
it would log you in.

Hope this is of some help,

Matt.

P.S. if you want to do it through fstab, you're probably looking for
the "user" switch.

--
Matthew Macdonald-Wallace
matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk