[HLUG] installing Ubuntu 8.04

Matt Jones matt at mattjones.me.uk
Fri Jan 30 23:23:21 UTC 2009

Step by step.
Depending on the age of the laptop you may want to get the 'Alternate'
Install disk, which gives a text based install that is a little more
complicated but installs easier on slower systems(The end result is
the same, if you want something that runs smoother on a lower
resourced machine try Xubuntu.) If the laptop is a Pentium3/4, about
900 Mhz with 256mb of ram plus then the ordinary one should be fine.

Download the CD image from the website. This will have a .iso
extentsion. You don't copy this onto the CD, it needs to be extracted
and written to the CD. Windows lacks the ability to do this. I used a
program called imgburn, which is pretty simple, just tell it where the
downloaded file is and press the go button.

Once this is done, pop it in the laptop and restart it. It should pop
up a menu with options to install/try. If it doesn't then you need to
go into the bios and move the CD drive to boot first so that the
computer will see the CD before it tries to boot up from the hard
drive. Select the install option. Now wait for a bit, and follow the
instructions, they are fairly self explanatory. From the sounds of it
you just want Ubuntu on this laptop, so in the partitioning bit select
the 'Use entire drive' option, to get rid of any old windows installs
that maybe on the laptop. This will delete everything on the drive!

What is the Make/model of the machine, it would help to diagnose any
driver issues that there may be.

Hope this helps, Matt.