[HLUG] installing Ubuntu 8.04

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Sat Jan 31 08:24:51 UTC 2009

Quoting Roy <ixu at btopenworld.com>:

> Hi all,
> I want to install Ubuntu 8.04 onto my 'old' laptop.
> I've downloaded Ubuntu and burnt it onto a CD.
>> On Laptop.
>> I have C:/> on screen and put the CD in the drive  -- nothing happened.
>> Can someone guide me thro' the procedure to install Ubuntu ?
>> I am generally OK with PC's but not Linux.  [whisper, I use Ms XP.]
>>      Roy

Hi Roy,

Congratulations, you've taken a very important step in liberating your PC!

Do you need to save/keep the data that is on this old laptop?

If so, take a backup copy, then let us know and we'll point you in the
direction of what's known as a "dual-boot" setup.

If not, reboot your computer with the CD in the drive, makesure it's
set to boot from CD and select "Install Ubuntu" from the menu that
pops up (much like you would when installing weindows XP).

Once Ubuntu has booted, click on the "Install" icon on the desktop and
follow the prompts!

Out of interest, which laptop is it? There may be a few gotchas or
added extras that we can avoid/enable for you on the way!

Kind regards,

Matt

--
Matthew Macdonald-Wallace