[HLUG] kdenlive - jaunty

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Thu Mar 19 14:03:00 UTC 2009

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 11:32 +0000, "Matthew Macdonald-Wallace"
<matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk> wrote:
> Quoting dicegeorge at hotmail dot com <dicegeorge at hotmail.com>:
>
> > the magic keys Ctrl-alt-F1 say Ubuntu 8.04.2
> > thanks
> >
> > so next move is to make a new partition for home folder, ext3..
> >
> > i have a friend coming round to do video work,
> > so maybe upgrade to 8.10 and put kdenlive on that,
>
> You could do, or (and I'd recommend this if your computer works!) just
> install on 8.04.  8.04 is what's know as a Long-Term Release which
> means that security updates and packages will be available for a good
> while yet.  I've not upgraded to 8.10 yet and I certainly won't be
> upgrading my wife's laptop from LTS until the next LTS is released -
> it means there's less to fix if it goes wrong!

I have a feeling that due to Kdenlive's reliance on lots on libraries
that really the newer the better in this regard. Many of the ffmpeg libs
on Ubuntu lesser than 8.10 are really quite old, and will not give as
good results.

8.10 is pretty stable, and ifs its mainly for home use, you should be
fine; fingers crossed when  upgrading to it. Steer clear of Jaunty ie
Ubuntu 9.04 for now, or at least until the last Release Candidates

Julian