[HLUG] kdenlive - jaunty

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Thu Mar 19 13:59:03 UTC 2009

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 11:27 +0000, "dicegeorge at hotmail dot com"
<dicegeorge at hotmail.com> wrote:
> the magic keys Ctrl-alt-F1 say Ubuntu 8.04.2
> thanks
>
> so next move is to make a new partition for home folder, ext3..

Yes, always, always a really good plan to create a separate /home
partition - it can be a life safer ... Not too difficult to do either

> i have a friend coming round to do video work,
> so maybe upgrade to 8.10 and put kdenlive on that,
> when in april is jaunty due?

Kdenlive works pretty well in 8.10 to be honest, and is what I used on
the demo, and at work when I have been using Kdenlive at work. That said
the Kdenlive devs suggest that with using Jaunty that the ffmpeg
packages that it uses will give better results when rendering, as ffmpeg
are releasing a major new version with many, new features and
improvements. But as I say, if you just want to be able to knock a video
together and render it for the web, or a media player, using 8.10 is
absolutely fine.

Jaunty is out April.

Julian