[HLUG] ubuntu jaunty launch 23rd april

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Thu Mar 19 14:26:45 UTC 2009

Quoting Julian Robbins <joolsr at fastmail.fm>:
>> 2009/3/19 dicegeorge at hotmail dot com
> <dicegeorge at hotmail.com>:
>> > as ubuntu is now almost as easy as windows for beginners
>> > without need of command line malarky
>> > how shall we publicise this release in herefordshire?
>
> Yes, good point. We really ought to try to do more to publicise
> linux, and Ubuntu is seen as an easier option into Linux (Yes I
> know about Fedora, suse, mandriva etc but lets leave that for
> another time ;-) )

You forgot Gentoo... :oP

> But, we can really only do some good publicity by the whole group
> participating.
>
> If we can get a decent number of people who agree to helping out
> and organisation of some kind of event, press, etc in
> Herefordshire that's really great. But it can't be left to just
> one or two people, it just doesn't work. Most of us are pretty
> busy with our working lives, but if we can all get involved to a
> greater or lesser extent it can be done.
>
> We have the tools, what do we want to do ?
>
> I was just talking to the lady who handles all the PR at the
> local Chamber of Commerce, and I'm sure we have many good
> contacts between us, but we need to be realistic about what we
> can achieve, and do it on a low, or virtually nil budget ...
>
> So everyone - what do we want to do, and how do we do it ?

Some good starting guides available below (not strictly Ubuntu, but
still of value!):

http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/StartGuide
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BuildingCommunity/RunningReleaseParty

We could try and find sponsorship from a local linux company to cover
the event insurance and hand out CDs etc. or the hire of one of the
CAPS and host a party.  Failing that, does anyone know a friendly
landlord that would be willing to help out?

My personal opinion is that the 23rd of april is only 1 month away and
that it may be a bit too short-notice to organise anything on a grand
scale.  I would propose that we use the 23rd and the release of Jaunty
as a starting point to build up to SFD 2009 (19th September) at which
we could then run talks/install-fests/PC Clinics/LANParties etc all of
which would surround Linux and would be held at an accessible venue
such as one of the CAPs.

Mark: is there any way we can have a WIKI on the website for
registered members to plan this kind of thing?

I think we may need to decide on a location that is not a CAP as they
are not the easiest to find (even with a GPS unit!) and we want major
foot-fall if possible.

That's all for now...discuss... :oP

M.
--