[HLUG] distro

Colin Gittings ca_gittings at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 9 21:31:05 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-09 at 07:51 +0000, AT Ege wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> while I was on holidays, the older of my hard drives went down. The last
> backup wasn't too long ago, so no big damage. But it makes me think
> about getting a new computer, instead of just a new harddrive. And with
> that comes thinking about changing my linux distro.

> I tried SuSE 11.x and Linux Mint on our laptop, and I'm not really
> satisfied about them. I haven't tried fedora or (k)ubuntu yet, but I
> guess I'll have to pinch the laptop again to do just that. In the
> meanwhile, I would appreciate some thoughts and tips.
>
> --
> Andreas Ege

Hi,

I quite like the discovery aspect of finding a new distro but given that
you've been using Gentoo, I'd recommend trying Arch or Sabayon at the
Gentoo end of the scale.

Personally I mainly use Ubuntu 9.10 at the moment in the netbook remix
guise. I can recommend Ubuntu as a solid desktop distro. If you want KDE
then Kubuntu is worth a try but if you find its a little weak/unstable
then install Ubuntu and then install KDE (or whatever other desktop you
want) as I have known Kubuntu to be a little difficult where a fresh KDE
install on Ubuntu worked well (I haven't tried the 9.10 versions yet so
others may be better placed in that respect).

Hope this helps your search!

Colin