[HLUG] November LUG Meeting - Tomorrow, ie Weds

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 18 23:23:50 UTC 2009

dicegeorge at hotmail dot com wrote:
> my cold is not very nice
> so i wont come and sneeze over you
> il stay in bed

Ah, shame you couldn't make it George.

We had a grand total of 8 tonight, and thanks especially to Johannes and
Sarah for coming along to their first LUG meeting. I hope you both
enjoyed it and got something out of it - at least you know some of our
faces now ;-)

Many and varied topics were discussed tonight including Arduino
hardware/software as both Johannes and Paul K brought along their
Arduino boards. Arduino is an opensource single board microcontroller
with endless varieties of add ons and programmability !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arduino

Pete Linnell discussed the MSc he is working on and how we hope to use
Linux/Open Source to help him analyse data in an analytical manner from
questionnaires he is going to be doing on a wide scale. We discussed
whether a spreadsheet OOo Calc, or database, OOo Base ? or indeed
something like Limesurvey, limesurvey.org (Open Source survey
application) would be best to use to help analyse the info he will obtain.

I missed a lot of the meeting, so hopefully someone else can fill in any
of the rest of the useful discussions we had.

We also discussed about next month's Christmas meal. The thought was
that perhaps a meal at an Indian restaurant in Hereford or Leominster,
not far into December may be best. We had our best turnout ever for an
HLUG event for a Christmas meal a few years back at a Indian restaurant
in Hereford, so hoping for a repeat performance.

Thanks again to Matthew for hosting us at Cookeys

Julian