[HLUG] Recovery Discs.....

Paul Stenning paul at sp-tech.co.uk
Thu Oct 22 08:07:27 UTC 2009

If the PC has the Windows XP licence sticker on the case you could
reinstall Windows from a standard OEM Windows CD (as long as it's the
right version, Home or Pro) and use the CD Key on the PC.  That is still
legal as you are using the OEM licence from the PC.  You would then just
need to get any relevant drivers from the HP website.

I have Windows XP OEM Home and Pro CDs here.  Email me off-list if you
want to borrow one.

Of course if you can talk them into Ubuntu (or Mint may be a good choice
for someone coming from Windows) that's all the better.  If they are
only using it for internet and basic office stuff etc it will do all
they need. :)

Paul