[HLUG] Amended/Improved SFD Flyer

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 13:05:16 UTC 2010

On 6 August 2010 12:16, info at lifespacedesign.co.uk <
info at lifespacedesign.co.uk> wrote:

> Having had a look, I would just like to say that serif fonts can cause
> problems
> for some visual or functionaly impaired readers and that in my view the
> headline
> ought to be more outstanding, it has to compete for attention amongst a lot
> of
> other notices wherever it gets posted.

Hi Pete

Ok. I've compressed the file so it will be easier to get onto mailing list.
I've amended the fiel so hopefully it will open on your machine.

This was post that alluded to the issue you had :-

*> I've created a Scribus file on my Mac at home (intel type).
> When trying to open the file at work on my Windows XP machine (via USB
> stick) I get a fatal error message which is something like: Cannot read
> the file. Any ideas?
> Thanks, Michael Kr?ck
>
> About your Scribus program:
> Version: 1.3.7svn

*

*Hi Michael,

Try to make sure the versions in the 2 OSes are as close as possible.
They definitely need to be in the same series.

I had some files I made with 1.3.6svn that couldn't be opened with
1.3.5.1 but that shouldn't have been the case.

I found that a workaround was to open it up in a text editor and change

<SCRIBUSUTF8NEW Version="1.3.6svn">

<SCRIBUSUTF8NEW Version="1.3.5.1">

This will not work to allow 1.3.3.14 to load a 1.3.5 series file.*

In terms of the .sla file attached I've made the main Head line bigger
font size as it needed it ;-)

I haven't changed the font type yet as 1, I think a serif font looks
more stylish and professional here 2, Although I understand what you
say about legibility, it's only a small doc so can't see that its
quite so relevant. 3, Changing font face will change quite a bit of
the word spacing and will mess up the layout; I haven't got time at
the mo to lay it out again at the moment.

Julian