[HLUG] .xsession-errors

AT Ege andreas.ege at mymail.ch
Tue Feb 16 20:32:36 UTC 2010

Hello there

I've got a problem with the .xsession-errors file in my /home directory.
It blows up to gigantic size: yesterday my disk space ran out, and when
I searched for the problem, I found that the .xsession-errors file had
reached about 23GB(!). Today again it was at 7GB, and growing.
I can't open it with any editor. If I try kwrite or nano whilest using
KDE the whole system freezes, and only a hardware reset works. If I try
without X under console, nothing happens, but at least I can kill the
process with kill.

I got a buggy X/ KDE at the moment, and I think it's a hardware problem.
Actually, By now I wanted to have a new computer, but had to sent the
mainboard back, 'cause it was faulty, which was 3 weeks ago. :-(

Is there any way to stop that file being written? Or limit its maximum
size? Or at least delete it automatically when shutting down?

Gentoo, KDE 4.3.4, xorg-x11 7.4-r1, xorg-drivers 1.6, xorg-server 1.6.5-r1

--
Andreas Ege

		16A Headbrook
                 Kington