[HLUG] .xsession-errors

Malcolm Herbert mherbert at redhat.com
Tue Feb 16 20:39:25 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-02-16 at 20:36 +0000, AT Ege wrote:
> Hello there
>
> I've got a problem with the .xsession-errors file in my /home directory.
> It blows up to gigantic size: yesterday my disk space ran out, and when
> I searched for the problem, I found that the .xsession-errors file had
> reached about 23GB(!). Today again it was at 7GB, and growing.
> I can't open it with any editor. If I try kwrite or nano whilest using
> KDE the whole system freezes, and only a hardware reset works. If I try
> without X under console, nothing happens, but at least I can kill the
> process with kill.
>
> I got a buggy X/ KDE at the moment, and I think it's a hardware problem.
> Actually, By now I wanted to have a new computer, but had to sent the
> mainboard back, 'cause it was faulty, which was 3 weeks ago. :-(
>
> Is there any way to stop that file being written? Or limit its maximum
> size? Or at least delete it automatically when shutting down?
>
> Gentoo, KDE 4.3.4, xorg-x11 7.4-r1, xorg-drivers 1.6, xorg-server 1.6.5-r1

wow, never come across than one; whilst finding a less buggy X/KDE
environment you write a crontab entry that deletes it every hour or
every view minutes; you could tail out the last 100 files first to see
if there is a recurring problem.

for every 15 minutes.

0,15,30,45 * * * *   tail -100 /home/<user>/.xsession-errors
> /home/<user>/tail-file ; rm /home/<user>/.xsession-errors

probably other hacks that might work

Malc

> --
> Andreas Ege
>
> 		16A Headbrook
>                  Kington
>                  Herefordshire HR5 3DZ
>                  GB
>                  Mobile: +44.(0)7526.315292
>                  Tel.: +44.(0)1544.239107
>                  http://spheniscid.net

Dr Malcolm Herbert
Director, EMEA Strategy & Solutions Office
t: +44 7720 079845