[HLUG] Topics at Meetings

info at lifespacedesign.co.uk info at lifespacedesign.co.uk
Sat Feb 20 08:21:08 UTC 2010

Dear All,

Good to see some more active policy discourse in here ! Like others I too am
sorry I missed the Feb moot, like others I was detained by a previous engagement
elsewhere - my final MSc module - now I've just got a thesis to write.

Making meetings better is a constant struggle in all walks of life but I would
say that the first step is to get more people at them; the issue of course is
how one does that. To my recall, the best turn out was the evening we gave a
presentation to Hereford FOE and Greens with contributions from many different
views of Linux and enough members to talk to numbers of the audience face to
face.

In my view this is a valuable thing to be doing; and we should be doing more of
it. As this would mean interfacing with many more novices it may be less
interesting for more professional users, but would not preclude any contribution
they may wish to make, or the presentation of deeper technical topics at group
meetings. I welcome a discourse here on how we could go about this.

Having recently experienced the nightmare of having to use a Vista pc to run a
building simulation suite whilst simultaneously enjoying the delight of a
netbook running the full Mandriva 2010 distro I am inclined to change my
approach to FLOSS advocacy away from features and more to libertarianism !I
would still welcome the much delayed Blender evening; but if this happens can we
have a bit of homework first so we come to it with some grown up questions?

As said before, we are thin on the ground in a rural county, so it's always a
special effort to get to meetings, perhaps more so for me as I often work away
for long periods. Should this be the case during a group project I am happy to
contribute material from a distance.

So how about putting a display together to go in the libraries ?

Hoping to see (more of) you next month ;-)

Pete H@