[HLUG] Command Line Witchcraft?

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 23 10:47:44 UTC 2010

Sarah Chard wrote:
> I think mainly it is fear of the unknown - and also fear that if you do
> use the command line you will somehow damage your system because as
> George says it's often a case of a blind cut and paste.

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the feedback - it's just what I was looking
for. As someone who grew up in the 70s and 80s with
command line *nix, and never got the hang of GUIs, I
desperately need a counter-view to help make these
articles work (alas it's too late for part I & most
of part II).

> Also if you make a mistake it doesn't tell you or points you to man
> pages - you have to work out what you have done wrong, which if you are
> uncertain about what/why you are doing something in the first place can
> be confusing.

You know I'd have said exactly the same about GUIs.
I'll think the thing through from the other side for
the next article :)

> ie. - if you don't know it's going to happen the simple fact that you
> put your password in without anything showing on the screen can be very
> baffling

Okay.

> When I first started using linux/Ubuntu 2006/7 I was very worried about
> using the command line but I had real problems getting internet
> connections to work.
>
> I hate doing things when I don't understand the reason why I am doing it
> so I struggled with the command line for a while  - then found a handy
> ref sheet on Fosswire similar to this one -
> http://fosswire.com/post/2007/8/unixlinux-command-cheat-sheet/
> which helped.

These (this & the one from your next mail) are v helpful.
I'll stick them in the resources boxout.

> I find it interesting to learn and quite enjoy the struggle - most
> people don't- I agree with George in that I prefer to use a gui if one
> is available.

But GUIs are so difficult to navigate ppl through remotely.
They are self-limiting, and rely on motion/direction, which
is difficult, rather than words, which are the way we think :)

> If I am introducing people to Ubuntu I don't mention the command line at
> all as it will frighten them - hopefully they will not have to use it as
> the gui's have improved so much!

..however I've come to the conclusion that it's not
simply cli vs gui, it's just the way different ppl's
brains are wired. I work with words, I understand words,
but I have real problems with directions: if someone
says you take a left, then a right, then.... I lose
track and can't grasp it. If I see a map. no matter
how great the distance, I grasp the route instantly.

In speaking to others about it I find I'm not entirely
an oddball, but in a significant minority (say roughly
the proportion that vote lib-dem), but I remain
firmly convinced that most ppl will be happy with
the cli if introduced to it well :-)

In the 90s, secretaries at places I worked fiercely
resisted introduction of GUI OSs!

  - Richard

--
http://www.goodgnus.org/2010/02/so-what-am-i-up-to/