[HLUG] Command Line Witchcraft?

Sarah Chard sarah at streetentertainers.co.uk
Tue Feb 23 11:56:42 UTC 2010

Richard

I know what you mean - in my limited experience of trying to talk
friends who rarely use their PC through a standard procedure (over the
phone) it can get very confusing -

But having said that GUI's feel much safer for non command line users
because they are self limiting - you can only do the prescribed actions
and (should) end up with the required result - you don't want to step
outside of the box just go from A to B. Because they are self limiting
there is less to remember and you don't have to understand the process
just press the button and get the result.

As part of my job I often teach circus skills to adults and children
many of whom think (or often have been told they have) they have no
co-ordination or indeed may have co-ordination problems. It's those who
have no fear of failure who are usually the fastest and most persistent
learners but everyone can learn these skills - some people will be
better than others but even people with Dyspraxia can achieve if they
are taught in the right way.

In other words whether you prefer cli vs gui may depend partly on the
'way your brain is wired' but largely on the way you have been taught to
use a computer and if you have had little experience of using cli then
your fear of failure will be the mental block which will stop you even
beginning to learn.

--
Kind regards
Sarah Chard