[HLUG] ClearOS

Paul Stenning paul at sp-tech.co.uk
Sun Jan 31 11:38:51 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Has anyone here used ClearOS, formerly Clarkconnect?  It is a packaged
small business server including file sharing, domains (active
directory), web server, mail, gateway etc.  It is based on CentOS I
think, with a web-based front end.  The basic product is open source but
they sell commercial support and you have to pay an annual fee for
updates to the anti-malware etc.

I only found out about it the other day from an article in Micro Mart
magazine.  I've never seen it mentioned in Linux Format or in the LUG.

I have just downloaded it and installed it in Virtual Box.  First
impressions are that it seems nicely put together with a more
user-friendly interface than Webmin.  Worth further investigation.

One of my clients wants a small business server for mail and file
sharing, and I am reluctant to go down the Microsoft Small Business
Server route, but other options such as Ubuntu Server with Webmin are
too difficult to manage.

Other suggestions of similar packages to ClearOS are welcomed please!

Best regards,
Paul Stenning

S&P Technology, PO Box 15, Hereford, HR4 9WX

www.sp-tech.co.uk
www.vintage-radio.com
www.vintage-radio.net
www.service-data.com