[HLUG] Linux for Netbook

Paul Stenning paul at sp-tech.co.uk
Mon Jul 5 10:47:25 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Can anyone suggest good Linux distros to look at for an Eee PC 900
netbook?  It has 800 x 480 graphics, 512MB RAM, 4GB Flash Drive, slow
Celeron CPU and Intel graphics.

I am currently using Ubuntu (the latest LTS) and am getting frustrated
with it.  I seem to spend more time updating it than using it, it has
hardly any disk space left (I need to clear space for every update) even
though it's a minimal installation, it seems to hammer the CPU so it
runs warm with poor battery life, and it's slow.

I need something more lightweight that will work sensibly on the
hardware (especially the screen resolution), can run recent versions of
Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice Write and Calc (or Abiword and
Gnumeric) and aMSN.  It also needs to have support for a Vodafone 3G dongle.

Suggestions welcome, before I throw the thing out of the window or
restore the original dire Linux and sell it!!

I think Ubuntu have lost their edge now.  I "upgraded" my development
web server from 8.04LTS to 10.04LTS and the result was a right mess,
including loss of the RAID array containing all my work.  Thankfully I
had backed everything up (I do nightly backups).  I am now using Apache,
PHP and MySQL on my Windows XP desktop and may reconsider the server
when I have time (though the current setup is working fine so I may
stick with it).

--

Best regards,
Paul Stenning