[HLUG] X easier in Mandriva than Ubuntu

Jeff Tupholme jeff at repositive.com
Fri Jun 25 17:05:35 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Just passing on a quick tip that someone might find useful now or in
the future. I was recently trying to get Linux working on an old IBM
mini-tower (circa 2002) and having problems with Ubuntu 9.10 driving
the graphics chipset properly. It is a basic Intel 810 setup and would
run only the lower resolutions, which obviously isn't ideal for any
recent monitor.

I read that X in Mandriva was a bit easier to get going (i.e., less
need to configure by hand) and so I installed Mandriva 2010. Indeed, I
found that using the Control Center I could get resolutions even
higher than the chipset is supposed to support! The only thing to
watch out for is that the Display/Monitors preferences only seem to
change the settings for the current session, so best to stick with the
MCC during your initial configuration. (Looking under the hood, I
believe MCC changes the config files whereas the preferences do not;
they just work with what is there already, right or wrong.)

Best wishes,

Jeff