[HLUG] Linux bootdisk for data recovery

Paul Stenning paul at sp-tech.co.uk
Sat Oct 9 12:40:17 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I've been asked to look at a friend's laptop which needs a Windows 7
reinstallation (corrupted and won't boot) but he has a lot of data on
the hard disk that he doesn't want to lose.  He has bought a 1TB USB
hard disk.

What would be the best Linus distro to boot the PC from to copy the data
from the internal hard disk to the USB one?  I've got a Ubuntu 10.04
disk, will that do the job OK or should I go for a different distro live
disk?  I want a GUI so I can find the files and drag-and-drop to the USB
drive.

Thanks,
Paul