[HLUG] bandwidth logging

Andreas T. Ege andreas at spheniscid.net
Tue Oct 12 21:32:00 UTC 2010

Hello,

> So that pretty much scotches the megabit connection rates you're
> quoting.  I do accept that it is possible with great care to get up
well, the mbit connection rates I quote are just what Wicd connection
info (and before that knetworkmanager) gives me as speed. If, like now,
it quotes 54 Mb/s, I sometimes wonder if that's the rate to the router.
;-) Then again, why should that fluctuate so extreme?

> interest, my son who is on the normal domestic tariff frequently pays
> the normal £15 + another £60 odd for 'excess usage' charges because
> he uses IPlayer a lot.

My point is less the high usage as such. What worries me is that the
data transfer seems close to doubled in some months since we moved to
what we had before, though I wouldn't be aware of any change of usage.

And actual connection speeds definetely vary, sometimes even normal
webpages take like forever, and I can just skip Iplayer/ get_iplayer
(get_iplayer between 11 and 200 kbps), other times get_iplayer downloads
with speeds around 700-900 kbps. Sure, part of it prob is serverside,
but it was never that extreme in Kington.

--
Andreas Ege

		24 The Birches
                 Shobdon