[HLUG] bandwidth logging

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 21:52:54 UTC 2010

On 12 October 2010 22:37, Andreas T. Ege <andreas at spheniscid.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>

>  Perhaps you could set up some kind of web proxy to monitor outgoing
>> incoming
>> traffic much more finely, and if necessary a means of controlling it.
>> IPciop
>> has lots of graphs of network load, throughput in and out for example.
>>
>>  Does this also run under Win? My wifes Laptop runs on Win, and it prob
> would make sense to monitor the two main computers in a comparable way.
> That's one of the reasons I choose bandwidthd to use.

Well you have to install it onto an old pc, but wireshark or using router
stats is probably just as good if not better suggestions

>  I just see, that over like the last 15min I got TCP traffic of 9.7M. How
>>> do
>>> I figure out where that's coming from?--
>>>

>> Does seem an odd one. But then these days, so many services are being used
>> without us knowing. I guess you havent got any Peer to Peer services
>> running
>> that could be using up your bandwidth ?
>>
>>  Actually I do have mldonkey running, but again, I had it running the same
> way in Kington. Actually, I had the max upload speed twice as high in
> Kington. But anyway, I disabled the mlnet daemon as an init script, so after
> the next boot I'll now better in this regard. (Yes, I know, I could stop it
> now and see what happens... ;-) )

also try speedtest.net to get an idea of the real speed you can achieve. I
think samknows is a bit wrong in this instance, as I have measured about 3.5
MB/s with a 5km long line length, and I'm only about 1/4 mile closer to the
exchange than you

Julian