[HLUG] bandwidth logging

tom_poole at tiscali.co.uk tom_poole at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Oct 15 19:41:30 UTC 2010

Hi Andreas,
This is probably not the reason for your problem, but may e
interest to HLUG members.
I work from home and my employer replaced my
failing HP multifunction printer with a new HP MF1522 earlier in the
year. I noticed that I was constantly downloading something, and on
investigation it turned out to be due to the printer driver. The new HP
drivers contact HP.com as soon as loaded. It keeps telling you to order
a new toner cartridge. When I contacted IT they were surprised, and
grateful for the information as they had been wondering where the
excessive internet traffic on the company system had been coming from.

There was no way to turn this off, so the company firewall was
reconfigured to block internet access by the offending printer driver,
and HP was contacted about it.
I think that HP may have released a new
driver now that alloows this feature to be turned off.

It may be
worthwhile setting your firewall to block all access and approve on an
individual basis. Then you will see which programs are trying to get
access - you'll soon learn what is trying to access the internet
without your knowledge.

Regards
Tom

PS I wish I could get your
speed. My length of BT copper wire is maxed at 500KB.

Message----
"hlug"<herefordshire at mailman.lug.org.uk>
>Subj: [HLUG] bandwidth
logging

>Hi there,
>
>since I moved to Shobdon I apparently have a
problem with the amount of
>data going over my broadband connection.
I'm with BT, 10GB included per
>month. Besides the connection speed is
fluctuating quite strong betwenn
>1 and 9 Mbit/sec, up to 48 at times,
I had one mail from BT claiming I'd
>used 9 Gig, last month they say
it was 18 Gig, and for October up to now 7.
>When I was still in
Kington I never got mails like that, and I
>definetely never went over
the 10 Gig. The set up then was virtually the
>same as now:
>a desktop
with first Gentoo, then (and now) Kubuntu mainly, rarely Win
>2000 at
first, then Win 7;
>a laptop with Win 7 (only used one or two months in
Kington, though,
>before that laptop with Win XP);
>and an Iphone.

>Connection speed in Kington was much higher, close to 58Mbit/sec most
of
>the time, and usage of the computers hasn't changed.
>On the usage
side the only suspicions are a) Win7 updates, and b) using

>get_iplayer to download films/ radio programs from BBC. The problem I

>got with downloading BBC stuff is, that now I very often need 3 or 4

>tries till somethings downloaded completely, though get_iplayer
claims
>to have downloaded everything, but the actual file size is
variably
>(between like 5% to 95% of supposed file size) smaller then
it should
>be. It worked fairly well for a few weeks in between, but
got worse again.

>I've just installed bandwidthd as a monitor/ logger
under kubuntu
>(there's a win version as well, which will go on the
laptop tomorrow,
>probably). The probs I got with bandwidthd are, it's
starting before
>wlan0 comes up, and then apparently stops, and it
seems to delete it's
>old logs, so I don't get a proper weekly/
monthly overview.

>What I mainly don't understand is, that with
broadband speeds of more
>then 10times of what I got now, I didn't
manage to get more 10Gig data
>transfer in Kington, how do I manage
with basically now different
>computer/ internet usage do up to twice
the data transfer?

>So, to my questions:
>a) has anybody made similar
experiences with BT (or any other provider,
>for that matter)?
>b) how
do I get bandwidthd to start after the network interface (wlan0)?
>c)
how do I tell bandwidthd to keep its protocols at shutdown/ restart?

>I just see, that over like the last 15min I got TCP traffic of 9.7M.
How
>do I figure out where that's coming from?--
>Andreas Ege
>
>		24
The Birches
>                 Shobdon