[HLUG] Open Source Software/Network audit tool

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Fri Oct 22 12:53:57 UTC 2010

Quoting Julian Robbins <joolsr1 at gmail.com>:
>> What are you trying to achieve? Is it just a software audit?
>>

> yes more or less. I've seen ocsinventory but it is a bit heavy duty for us
> really

Fair enough.

I've seen custom systems in the past where a script is run as part of
the user's logon-script under windows that logs back to a centralised
file/database, there's no reason why you couldn't do the same on Linux
using bash and ssh...

The alternative is to use GroupPolicies under Windows and something
like Puppet on Linux to ensure that only the software that you need is
installed and nothing else can be added

You could also look at ossec or similar and use that to send emails
whenever new software is installed?

Kind regards,

Matt
--